What causes constipation after having an epidural for spinal stenosis?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: last Thursday (Aug 13) I had an epidural injection for spinal stenosis - can that procedure lead to constipation???
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes it can

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Yes it can since epidural injection will affect nerves responsible for bowel contractions. Its effect may last up to 2 weeks. You should drink more fluids, eat high fibre food, take gicerin supossitories, Portalac or laxatives. It shozld improve within few days. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 5 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your response. You refer to a time frame of 2 weeks - that seems like a long time. Have you seen cases where a patient's bowel was impacted by the shot for that long a period.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Yes, its effect may last for that long since this is time required for excretion of anastetic. But it should subside day by day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj