• question-icon

What causes constant throat irritation?

Posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: sore throat for approx. 5 weeks....My ENT says inflamed arytenoids from LPR & a spot of leukoplakia on rt. vocal cord from smoking. I am a 34y/o and have smoked since i was 17. I quit immediately cold turkey last week. My ENT has me removing all irritants & following up in a month to see if any of the leukoplakia has reversed. He told me he didn't see anything that looked like cancer, but i am a nurse and of course am freaking out. I don't have any unsual hoarseness thats new (sometimes i am). My throat becomes irritated as the day wears on and is relieved with rest, eating & drinking. What is your opinion on leukoplakia improving? Why is my throat so itritated? Is it my inflamed arytenoids from reflux/LPR or something serious? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laryngopharyngeal reflux...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting this query

Leukoplakia if diagnosed, should be managed appropriately. As it is a precancerous condition, regular follow up is warranted.

Your doctor seems to be on the right track. Discontinue all those which causes the irritation of the vocal cords.

The throat irritation could be due to inflammation of the arytenoids and the pharyngeal wall. It's known as laryngopharyngeal reflux secondary to acid reflux disease. Oral proton pump inhibitors and prokinetics are beneficial.

The best treatment is to wait and watch for at least a couple of months.

One school of thought says, to try oral antifungal treatment along with vocal cord hygiene, adequate hydration (consuming plenty of warm water) and treatment for acid reflux disease. If the patch is not responding to the above mode of management, go for KTP Laser excision with subsequent follow up regularly.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later
So it woundn't be uncommon to have a chronic sore throat from LPRD? I have noticed that I am swallowing more (post nasal drip) and clearing my throat more, which further irritates my throat. Also, if I talk too much or too loudly, I feel strained and hoarse. Thank u
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You will definitely get better with medications and life style modification

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Yes, you are absolutely right, the symptoms described by you are typical of Laryngopharyngeal reflux. I would suggest you to continue with the medications for the same and modlify the life style. You will definitely get better within a month or two.

I wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later
Great thank you. I am definitely feeling the effects. My throat hurts less when i rest my voice. I feel the best in the morning when i have not talked for several hours
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vocal cord hygiene and medications for LPR...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

Please continue with the vocal cord hygiene, regular steam inhalation and the measures for Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR), you will definitely get better.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist