Suggest treatment for stomach infection while on Nexium

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello
I flew in from Europe 2 1/2 weeks ago ang lost my voice, it still has not returned! At the time I had a stomach bug, and I have double dosed the nexium I take daily, my doc put me on a z pal and metro dose Pak. Took both no return of my voice. Went to the ent and got scoped and he said the right cord was swollen keep taking nexium. My stomach is fine Nd I really don't eat acidic foods. Wanting another opinion. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yoi should start prednisone 5 mg.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Inflammatory edema of vocal cord is very common after traveling and it is the cause for your hoarseness of voice.
Best treatment for this is short course of oral prednisone 5mg.
Take prednisone 5mg once a day after breakfast for 10 days.
Do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day.
Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
Avoid excessive talking, shouting (voice rest is needed).
Don't worry, you will be alright with all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D