What causes constant numbness in the feet?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi I have constant numbness in both feet at the toes and my left arm goes numb all the time like it's asleep- cant figure out why the doctor I talked to said it was not circulation
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy vs. impaired blood flow.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Symptoms you describe could be related to two main conditions:

1. Peripheral neuropathy

2. Impaired blood supply of legs

In my opinion, peripheral neuropathy, a condition characterized by peripheral nerves damage from different causes, should be considered and evaluated further as a possible cause of your symptoms.

Conditions related to peripheral neuropathy include diabetes, viral infections, low vitamins B group, alcohol use, autoimmune diseases, side effects of drugs, etc.

Another probable explanation of your symptoms is impaired blood flow on feet due to venous system insufficiency.

It is necessary to get evaluated by your primary care Doctor and to get further examinations such nerve conduction study, Doppler ultrasound, and appropriate blood tests.

Treatment depends on diagnosis.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee