• question-icon

What causes cold and cough along with shortness of breath?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I had a bad cold about three weeks ago and my lungs have not felt right since. I feel short of breath and have a continuous cough. I feel very congested and a bit lathargic.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
oral antibiotics, bronchodilator, decongestant, steroids

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Shortness of breath, continued cough and congestion ,lethargy may indicate that you have a bacterial infection in need of antibiotics

In most persons cough/cold symptoms last 1 to 2 weeks, the cough can persist after ALL of the other symptoms have gone, this is called post viral cough.

In your case however, other symptoms are continuing along with the cough meaning that it is not likely post viral.

It would be best to see your doctor for an assessment, as mentioned, a course of antibiotics may be needed.
Other aspects of treatment may include: (1)may need a bronchodilator eg salbutamol, to open the airways.
Closure of the airways, even in persons who are not asthmatic, can cause coughing

(2)a decongestant to help with the congestion- this is over the counter

(3) a short course of steroids (3 to 5 days) may also be needed if your doctor suspects bronchitis

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James