• question-icon

What causes clod and throat irritation?

Posted on Wed, 9 Apr 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi, we have moved to a new apt recently. Every family member is having cold, throat irritation, allergies. I suspect it because of construction dust around. iam planning to buy HEPA air filter and use them at night. Is it advisable to use air filters or not?
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: HEPA works, but rule out other causes Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic. HEPA air filters are very good at blocking dust and Allergens from the outside world into your apartment. But beware, they will be ineffective unless the apartment is sealed and relatively air tight. Nextly, the Filters have to be serviced and cleaned on a regular basis per manufacturer instructions or THEY CAN CAUSE Issues with all the trapped allergens and pathogens overflowing into the living space. Lastly, how sure are you that the construction dust is the cause? Are there any other changes in the environment that are concerning? New Sheets, new furniture etc? The materials in these fabrics can also cause allergies and such and the HEPA filters wouldn't be able to protect you against those. So you need to rule out the inside of the apartment first before you install the filters. If all these things check out and you are certain that you will be able to get them installed and maintained correctly. Then HEPA filters can be of great help.. at least when you are inside the Apartment. I hope this has helped you move toward making a decision on this purchase. Feel free to follow-up with me on this or anything else. Thanks again for coming to HealthCaeMagic.com Vin
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

Neurologist, Surgical