What causes blood in mucus along with sore throat?

Question
wake up with blood and mucus in throat, also have sore throat, has been going on 3 months
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Examinations and tests might be needed due to being for 3 months now

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Blood from the throat associated with sore throat can be caused by different causes. Many times a simple viral infection might cause it but we would not expect it to last for months.
Chronic allergies might cause throat irritation chronically and cause you to have some blood but it should be very small in amount and is very rare as a possible cause.

Because you have had these symptoms for 3 months now it would be very advisable that you have some tests. First you need a doctor to examine your throat and than will decide on further tests and examinations. Checking your nose is advisable also to try to rule out nose as the cause of the blood from your throat.

Sometimes using a camera (endoscope) to visualize your throat and the airways close to it and a chest x-ray might be needed.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to write me in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD