Suggest treatment for dry cough

Posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello sir,

Since last 2 two days my daughter is having the moderate cough with very little fuss also. we can say dry cough and there is no throat pain.
1. any remedy you would suggest without medicine.
2. any remedy you would suggest naturally without medicine

thank you..
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Warm saline gargle, Steam inhalation with plenty of fluids and soups

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

Most common cause of cough without fever in this age is some infection or allergy.
Viral infection is more common.
Here you can give home remedies and can wait for 3-4 days.
But if cough is severe or there is difficulty in swallowing/throat pain I would prefer to give medications.
In home remedies you may try warm saline gargle three to four times a day, Steam inhalation with plenty of fluid to keep her hydrated as dry throat itself precipitates cough. Give warm soup with some honey lozenges to avoid throat irritation.
I hope with these measure she will feel better and cough will decrease.
If cough worsened, there is vomiting due to cough or any breathing/swallowing difficulty please consult your pediatrician.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
thank you for your suggestion, I will follow your advice and after that if at all we want to go for syrup what you would suggest and its dosage.

thanks.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me know if cough is still there

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Actually the treatment depends on the type of cough, it's severity and associated symptoms.
Please let me know if cough is not improving with home remedies.
I will tell you the type of cough syrup accordingly.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology