• question-icon

What causes chronic nausea while having anxiety and depression?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello

I have been suffering for last several months with chronic nausea; no vomiting and not affected by food. Don't have much of appetite, Had EGD which showed some gastritis, duodenitis and some minor esopagitis not Barrett's. Also suffer from generalized anxiety and depression and take a lot of meds. My psychiatrist thinks nausea mainly due to anxiety. Colonoscopy scheduled for early August. How likely is the chronic nausea due to anxiety? And what potential role does the EGD findings have?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think EGD finding should be given more value

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read ypur query and understand your concerns.

Although it is possible to have chronic nausea when you are suffering with anxiety and depression but I feel we need to look for more obvious. Since there is findings suggestive of gastritis, duodenitis and eosophagitis I feel they should be preferred while getting treatment as any such symptoms are likely to increase more anxiety.

I must acknowledge that it is possible that EGD findings are result of anxiety itself and so nausea but this will not prevent to include comprehensive treatment including psychological as well as physical symptoms.

I hope this answers you.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist