What causes chronic cough and swollen eyes in a COPD patient?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Oct 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I'm a copd patient 69yrs. Longtime asthma for 45 years. Had many attacks and hospitalised. Admin head of leading hospital hence had taken care of. Now retired and live alone. I'm on Montair at bedtime. Seroflow twice. Tiova once. Duolin sos. Oxygen for 12hours. Spo2 now at 95% Was on Doxofyllin last 10 days. I now am coughing out a lot and my under eyes swell up when I'm up. Hope coughing out will get me better BUT why swelling under eyes?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of fluid retention is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of very severe COPD is more.
And on long run, severe COPD can cause right sided heart failure (cor pulmonale).
And this can cause fluid retention and edema under eyes.
So better to get done 2d echo to diagnose cor pulmonale. If cor pulmonale is there then you will need diuretic drugs along with current medicines.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.