What causes chills, throat infection and runny nose?
Hello and welcome,
Do you feel like you are coming down with an infection?
Chills and a runny nose may be due to the onset of a cold (viral upper respiratory infection) or start of flu (also viral) or other respiratory infections.
Chills typically happen in the presence of a fever. It would be a good idea to check your temperature. If you have a low grade fever, you may feel more comfortable if you take Tylenol (acetaminophen). Don't take Tylenol and drink alcohol though (hard on the liver).
If your throat is sore too, and a fever, and some swollen glands, I recommend going in to the urgent care clinic for a throat swab to do a rapid strep test and culture. Strep symptoms give cold symptoms plus fever, chills, and swollen glands. A rapid strep test can be done with results ready while you wait.
If it's mostly just drainage down your throat giving the sore throat, and if you have no high blood pressure or other contraindications to using a vasoconstrictor type decongestant, you can try pseudo ephedrine. While this medication does not require a prescription, it is regulated (because some people cook it into methamphetamine) so you have to ask for it and show your ID. I generally don't use pseudephedrine within several hours of going to bed because it can be stimulating and keep a person awake.
Keep warm, and drink hot soups and teas. But do get your throat checked if it is sore, there is swelling of the lymph nodes of the neck, or fever.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes runny nose
- Listerine cause throat infection
- Throat infection causes
- Recurring throat infection causes
- Strep throat infection? causes
- Prolonged fever throat infection runny nose sneezing taken ebast guidance
- Constant throat infection causes
- Severe throat infection causes
- What causes bacterial throat infections
- What cause throat infection
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis