What causes chest pain with lump feeling in throat, abdominal bloating and flatulence?
1. Feeling of discomfort in chest, mostly feels on the left side, sometimes similar to tingling feeling. It is not constant, I think it is mostly triggered by two things a) bad diet b) some thing that makes me nervous or worried. I don't exactly know which triggers which, but when it is stimulated, it could make me very restless or feels like I am going to pass out.
2. I have been to doctors and have done ECG a few times in the last three months, nothing special.
3. I get feeling of lumpiness in throat, bloating stomach, burping or sometime gassy (mostly like trapped gas). I don't get much feeling of acidity in stomach that you get after a big meal. It mostly feels like a "Silent GERD".
4. The pain can sometimes disappear if I get preoccupied with something.
5. I am a 30 years male. I work with computers and so sit long hours each day, usually walk at least 4,5 km per day, but no constant exercise except for occasional swimming. I am 178 cm and 102 kg. currently trying to lose weight as well.
Reflux related pain most likely.
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Your symptoms are most suggestive of Acid reflux induced chest pains.
Since you ECG has been normal, cardiac cause of chest pain is more likely. However, you may go for a Tread Mill Test (TMT), which would make us sure that this is not cardiac in nature.
I would advice you to go for:
1. Upper GI Endoscopy(UGIE)- To rule out Peptic ulcers.
2. Ultrasound Abdomen(USG)- To rule out Gall Bladder stones.
I would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone and to take anti flatulent and anti acidity syrup like Digene/Gelusil for symptomatic relief. Don't consume any alcohol in case you do.
In case you have been taking these medicines already, we can go for next step medicines in treatment of Acid Reflux but that we would decide based on the UGIE and USG reports.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Thanks for the reply.
I have a follow-up question, but before that will give you some extra information.
I am living in Australia and I have been to doctors a few times. I am currently taking Pantoprazole prescribed by my doctor for GERD (1 tablet per day). It is just a week or so that I have started the medication. I have been having this chest pain for the last 3 months. The pain comes and goes, but each time I get the feeling, I have gone to doctor to test for any problem with my heart.
My question is:
Could a cardiac related problem last for three or four months without having further symptoms or problems? ( I have just done ECG)
The reason I ask this question is because I myself know that I need to make some life style changes, but it would take me two, three months to do it. I want to rule out any cardiac related issues for now as it seems to be putting to much stress on me (every time I get the pain I freak out that it is heart related and it goes down spirally). If I know for sure that current situation is not heart related, I can focus with peace of mind on life style changes.
I would appreciate your take on that.
And maybe another follow-up question, could that all be anxiety induced chest pain?
Yes can persist
Hello, Yes cardiac chest pain can persist for longer time. The Cardiac chest pain is severe and crushing in nature. It increases on activity like walking, exercising. It also radiated to left arm.
So, getting the investigations done to be sure is not a bad idea.
Yes anxiety can aggravate acid reflux and can cause chest pain.
Anxiety related chest pains are also very common.
I suppose, Domperidone should be added to your regimen for a better relief.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal bloating with pulsating feeling
- Abdominal bloating causes
- Abdominal bloating and back pain
- Sudden abdominal bloating and pain
- Severe abdominal bloating and pain
- Painful intercourse and abdominal bloating
- Abdominal bloating pain and acne
- Stomach and abdominal bloating causes
- What causes abdominal bloating after a hysterectomy
- What causes abdominal bloating with weight gain