What causes chest pain while breathing?

Posted on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My wife has pain in chest while breathing since yesterday. Her age is 35.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get her clinically examined

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

A pain in chest while breathing may have many causes from minor problems like indigestion to emergencies like heart or lung related conditions.

Indigestion usually appears like a burning pain behind the heart. Pneumonia or collection of fluid in chest (pleural effusion) can also cause chest pain which increases on breathing. A typical heart attack appears like dull heavy pain going to the left arm and often with sweating not always related to breathing. In pulmonary embolism there is lot of breathing distress with non specific pain.

It is important to get her clinically examined by a doctor. This is because of the wide range of conditions with symptoms of chest pain and you should not take a risk by treating her on your own.

Depending on the exact location and nature of chest pain, your doctor may request a Chest X ray and ECG. Please note that at 35 years age it is unlikely to be a heart related problem if she has been normal till now. However it is important to rule out certain emergencies based on her medical history.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back with information after consulting your doctor.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist