• question-icon

What causes changes in the menstrual cycle?

Posted on Fri, 24 Jul 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 33 years old...the last 2 months my period has been between 2 and 3 days late..this month it is now 2 days late again. II have not had sex. My boyfriend did touch me
But he washed his hands very well before- then I washed myself after as well. I did touch him (later) and was also careful to wash after.
took 2 home pregnancy tests 1 after first missed day and one after 2nd missed day. Both negative. What could be possible reason for being late? I do have hashimotos/insulin resistance but lab levels were normal past 4 months.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably stress induced

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. One of the main factor for delayed period is stress. Stress causes release of certain hormone which has negative effect of periods and hence delay occurs. Second cause is pregnancy. As you took two pregnancy tests and both came out to be -ve so pregnancy has been ruled out. I would suggest you to relax and continue with your normal daily routine. Periods can normally get delayed by 1-2 days as well.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 25 minutes later
Thank you for answering my question....I do have one additional please - last month during my period on the first day I had extreme pain in my lower abdominal area that went into my low back. I usually get very bad cramping but this was way beyond what I normally get. I could hardly stand or sit for about 5 minutes it hurt so bad. And my period that cycle was a lot heavier than normal - to where it went through to clothing (usually tends to be on the heavy side, but not like that). I have been tracking my periods since the beginning of this year and they tend to go anywhere between 18 to 23 days. Is this combined with that pain I had last month of anything which to be concerned?
Thank you for your time!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
get an ultrasound pelvis done

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for the followup query.

Most common possibility for heavy menses is uterine fibroid. Second, genetic. I would suggest you to once visit hospital & get an ultrasound pelvis done to confirm the status of uterus. If there is any pathology then an appointment with a gynecologist will help you resolving it.

Thank You
Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf