Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

What causes calf pain and restricted movement in ankle?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10437 Questions
Hi again Thanks for your help and advice so far, things are progressing slowly The surgical wound is healing up nicely and the leg ulcer is also healing although much slower than I would like that said the nurses are happy that the wound is filling out although there is some clear oozing through the dressing, is this something to be concerned about ? I am doing some rom exercises with my ankle to help with eventual Physio I have reasonable movement up and down with the ankle however the left to right movement is restricted what can I do to exercise this ? Rom in the knee is also fairly good although somewhat tender. I have some pain over night in the calf of the impacted leg but it is not significant and I suspect it is related to the way I sleep Many thanks again for your advice XXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: mild fluid is normal. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing again. The mild amount of clear discharge fro a gradually healing wound is not worrisome. This is normally a healthy ooze from the exposed tissues. Just take care that it should not get infected at any cost as this will delay the healing considerably. The oozing out of the clear fluid will gradually decrease. Do continue with the antibiotics and local regular dressings to avoid any infection. Passive exercises of the ankle joint will help you considerably. The side to side movement is usually restricted in both bone injuries. It will take some time but will be restored eventually. Do the exercises under the guidance of your physiotherapist. Do not force yourself to do excessive painful movements. The pain in the calf can be related to the inactivity or an electrolyte imbalance. Be sure to take some electrolyte rich fluids and fresh fruit juices to reduce the pain. You can also get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician in case the pain is severe. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor