What causes calf muscle pain when diagnosed with herniated disc?

Posted on Tue, 27 Jun 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I've recently (over the last month or so) been experiencing worsening neck pain...an MRI diagnosed it as a badly ruptured disk in my C5/C6. I saw a surgeon who recommended surgery, but our insurance wouldn't pay for it, so I opted for an injection instead. My pain level in my neck has been consistently between a 6 and a 9 on a 0 to 10 pain scale. I have been spending most of my time in bed as a result. Yesterday morning I woke up with some mild pain in my left calf. I have a history of blood clots, but nothing recent. I am scheduled to have an injection in my neck this coming Tuesday, in the morning. As a result, I cannot take any blood thinners. I'm worried this might be a clot. What do I do?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take juicy fruits and see if that helps.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I understand the dismal situation that you are in but I do not see any reasonable solution other than surgery to be available. You can benefit from use of a neck collar and vertebral traction however. Hot compress and acupuncture can perhaps provide some relief.

The pain in your left calf could indeed be due to a clot and would call for a clinical evaluation. It could however also be due to a muscle spasm. I would insist you to take juicy fruits like citrus fruits, and bananas since they contain plenty of potassium and can help. If it does not, it would be a good idea to see a doctor.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha