What causes burning sensation in feet and dry mouth in an elderly person?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm 72, very healthy, excellent weight,ride a bike 40 to 50 miles three times a week, never any health problems in the past. about three months ago my feet started feeling like they were on fire, and numbness at night, I also had extreme dry mouth and my teeth hurt. this all has been going on for over two months YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible due to dehydration..see following advice...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

You are saying to have the following health problems:
- numbness in feet at night
- feeling feet like in fire
- dry mouth
- hurting teeth

for over 2 months now.

You are also saying to be out of town this summer working; means that when the symptoms started it was summer and you were out of town working.

1. Now, from what you are describing, the most probable cause could be dehydration and electrolyte loss due to sweating. I advise to keep well hydrated, drink plenty of water and tresol to replace the lost elements.

Taking multivitamin supplements containing magnesium, zinc, and vitamins of B group are also helpful in minimizing the symptoms.

2. I also advise to measure your:
- blood sugar levels (fasting, and 2 hours after eating)
- blood pressure (bp)

at a local pharmacy near the place you work.

This is to ensure your bsl and bp are ok.

3. When you go back home, I also advise to run a complete health check up including:
- complete blood count
- diabetes testing (fasting, oral glucose tolerance test, HbA1C)
- Doppler of the blood vessels in your legs
- neurological examination of your lower limbs
- a complete biochemistry profile (lipid profile testing; measure vitamins levels, liver/kidney function tests)

to ensure you are not having any metabolic illness or get it treated accordingly.

It is true that you have done the tests, but I need to know when did you run the last medical tests to understand your current health problems.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana