What causes burning sensation during urination?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi, I am a 31 year old Male. Before I got married I was in a live in relationship with a girl. Its been 2 years since i got marrried. I did not have any problems until recently however recently whenver i pass urine, I experience a painful/burning weird sensation. It starts just before the urine comes out and I feel it just after i start peeing. In the middle of passing urine I do not feel it and at the end I feel it slightly.I went to a local doctor. He checked for Diabetes, stones. Both negative. Then he suggested I take 1 gram Azythromycin + 2 gram secnidazole + 150 mg Flucanozole ( each single tablet in a strip). I took it and within 3 days the symptoms are almost gone.

My problem is my wife is currently 37 weeks pregnant. She does not have any symptoms but she says she has a lot of vaginal discharge. I'm not sure if this is normal of pregnancy or if this is a symptom. I am worried she might be a carrier of a bacterial STD because of me and she might pass it to the baby during child birth.

From what I have researched on the net, the normal treatment for pregnant women is Erythromycin 1 gram single dose. Now is it ok if my wife takes it without going for any testing for chlamydia, gonnorhea or other bacterial std.

I do not want my wife or my kid to be affected because of tablet or a std. Where I stay its difficult finding a lab to test for these. Please suggest if my wife can take this medication as a preventive measure ( in case she has it) or to just wait until the kid is born and check?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
White excessive discharge is common with women during pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM.
Are you continuing your relationship with that girl other than your wife?

During pregnancy excessive discharge is so common to have for any normal woman. Candidal (yeast) infections also can occur easily during pregnancy.
At the same time many STIs are asymptomatic in women folk due to their anatomical contour.
I can understand your concern about your wife and child to be born. But it is absurd that you want to have treatment online. Your wife has to be examined, her vaginal discharge has to be subjected for investigations and based on these findings treatment has to be planned. So take her to a specialist and get treated.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply Doctor. After marriage, I have not had any relationship with anyone other than my wife. Basically in this case you are saying no treatment without examination... I reason I asked this is because the doctor I went to said I can take these medicines without going for an examination and if I had any bacterial STD, it would clear up. In case if I dont have any, then still it is not a big deal as this medication would not harm me.

I assumed that it would be the same logic for women folk as well. Is that not right? Does she still need to undergo examination or can she take the medication under a presumptive basis?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Syndromic management miss exact diagnosis,especially with women

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Presumptive treatment will not always hold good. As you pointed out, sometimes unnecessary medications have harmful effects and resistance is likely.
Scientific management is always good and we will very well able to follow in future.
It is applicable for both men and women. Approach a better specialist to have a reliable cure. We should not miss other possibilities also.
Dr S Murugan