What causes abdominal pain, diarrhea and blood in stool?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 27 Jan 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have stomach pain and diarrhea since 6am the morning. I also have a lot of blood in the diarrhea. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Enteritsi

Detailed Answer:
Hi most likely its gastroenteritis,usually gastroenteritis is by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting,Takes five to sevendays It may be bacterial or protozoal infection or a mixed infection also.
I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.

If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoal infection.Start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days.
Along with it take Fybrogel husk,It will increase the bulk of your stools.
Tab imodium 4mg stat folowed by 2 mg twice daily can be added to contriol frequency of motions
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to maintain rehydration.
Monitor puls and blood pressure twice daily
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng