Suggest treatment for diarrhea and vomiting while on Imodium

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 16 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi about 10 days ago I was hit with some pretty bad diarrhea , i also was trembling, sweating and had some vomiting, mostly with no food coming up. after hours of this I finally caved and too an Imodium. I ate very little the next two days, when I ate again I got diarrhea again but no other syptoms. I ate only rice and bananas after that and things got a little more normal, As I started to eat more I started getting constipated, When I finally go, it is hard but is then followed by soft stool though no cramping. I otherwise feel okay but am getting concerned that this is not just something I ate that started it all
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis most likely

Detailed Answer:
As per the history was given by you most likely cause of your problem is Gastroenteritis.

Constipation or Loose stools both are a characterstic feature of Gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis if left untreated or if not managed properly changes into chronic enteritis with recurrent symptoms.

Imodium is just an antidiarrhoeal agent which reduces symptoms however proper management includes going for a stool test (Routine and microscopic analysis) to see if there is a parasitic or bacterial infestation.

Thereafter therapy with antibiotic and antiprotozoals like Secnidazole 1 gm and Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice should be taken to eradicate the problem. You may need a prescription for these from your local physician.

Thanks!
Please follow up with the stool reports.
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Hello, thank you for the response. Just so I am clear, is gastroenteritis only caused by parasite or bacterial infestation? Also, would you know if these types of parasites or bacteria can come from raw or under cooked onion?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Gastroenteritis infection is mostly caused by faeco-oral route of transmission and can either be viral, bacterial or protozoal.

Stool test should be done to rule out the exact nature of the causative agent.

If the onion is not cleaned properly, definitely yes, it can be caused by eating them.

Regards!

Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you, I asked that because I had a pizza delivered that day. When eating it, it just didn't seem good and the onions were raw rather than cooked.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

No one knows what were the conditions of the kitchen in which onions were used.
Hygiene of the food/ worker or chef?
Even if it were cooked no one knows if any worker had a gastric infection.

So just follow the advice and let me know how you stay later on.
Regards!