What causes bulging stomach after having Cytotec?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: HI.. I WAS ABOUT 2 MONTHS PREGNANT, USED CYTOTEC DUE TO THE FACT THAT LIFE WAS TOO COMPLICATED WITH MY HUSBAND, AND TO ADD ANOTHER BABY WOULDN'T HAVE WORKED. 6 WEEKS LATER I EVENTUALLY STARTED MY PERIOD, IT HAS BEEN A WEEK AND A HALF NOW. WHAT CONCERNS ME, I AM USED TO A FLAT STOMACH, BUT NOW IT SEEMS AS THOUGH MY LOWER ABDOMEN SHOWS A LITTLE BUMP/BLOATING. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE INTERNET, AND IT SEEMS AS IF THIS IS NORmal. I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH MYSELF,. WHEN WILL MY STOMACH BE FLAT AGAIN????
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I understand that you used cytotec at 2 months and had bleeding 6 weeks later.

You now have a bulging belly.

As of now, cytotec alone may not always cause a complete abortion. Even if it does, the bleeding usually begins in a week and not 6 weeks later. So please get a pregnancy test repeated as it may be an incomplete abortion or the pregnancy may not have terminated at all.

The commonest reason for belly bulge is abdominal fat. However other reasons may be gas, ovarian cysts or other abdominal cysts and pregnancy.

It is best to get a urine pregnancy test and an evaluation by a doctor if there is a bulge in lower abdomen without weight gain.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist