What causes bruise under toes with swollen foot?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in Diabetes
Question: i am a type 1 diabetic for the past 26 years. up to the age of 38yrs the only thing wrong with me was my diabetes. first i start having problem with my eyes but they were fix with eye surgery. Now the problem is nueroapthy of the feet. For now 3 years my feet feel numb,burning, and tingle all time. i have very little feeling in them too. yesterday I notice that had a beg briuse on the base of my toes and my whole foot was very swallon. do I have too worry about this.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: PLEASE AVOID WALKING AND MEET A DOCTOR ASAP Detailed Answer: Hello Dear, Good day. From your description it is likely that you have diabetic peripheral neuropathy. If you have a bruise under toes with swollen foot, that cold be an infection ( Cellulitis). Because of neuropathy, the sensation in legs are affected and you might not have noticed the bruise when it occured as the pain sensation will be less in neuropathic feet. Please don't wait further. Meet a doctor as soon as possible. Dont walk and put pressure on the affected foot. Dont apply any creams. Keep the foot covered and meet a doctor. You may need some blood works looking for infection and may need to use antibiotics. How is your sugar control now? You may also need to modify your foot wear once the current infecton is settled. Please meet a podiatry surgeon , Orthopedician or a general surgeon ASAP. Dont delay any further. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Regards Binu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 39 minutes later
This happen last week at work. I was about to fall down but caught myself. I did complbetly bend my toes and think i got thr briuse and the swalloning but did not notice it til yersterday. Could my foot be broken and not feel it? I could walk on it with mild pain.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 6 hours later
Brief Answer: I am concerned... Detailed Answer: Hi Dear, YOU could walk on it with mild pain. Thats exactly the problem. If you had no neuropathy, probably the pain would have been worse and that would have prevented you from walking and prevent further damage to the affected toes. Small crush injuries or even minor fractures are indeed possibilities. But the first thing coming to my mind is an infection (cellulitis). Having seen many diabetic foot problems for the last several years, I urge you to avoid walking and do not put pressure on the affected toes. Please see a doctor as soon as possible. How is your blood glucose control? Keeping your blood glucose under control can certainly help to retard the progression of neuropathy. If you smoke, you should try to stop it. Any amount of smoking and excessive alcohol intake are two major factors contributing to neuropathy apart from diabetes. Regards Binu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad