What causes brownish green stool?
Thank You ,
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
You are concerned about the change in color of your stool from brown to green. The color of stool is derived from what you eat and bile from the gall bladder. If you eat a lot of green vegetables or food with green food coloring the stool tend to be green. Also if the gall bladder stops secreting bile into the small intestines it can also turn the stools green. But the most common cause is a GI tract that is moving the stool quickly through the GI tract and not allowing for the bile to change to a brown color. Also some pills and iron supplements will turn the stool green
I would not be too alarmed about the change in color to green. I would eat regular meals and see if it returns to normal in the next day or two. If it does not then you could have a gallbladder problem and I would recommend seeing your medical provider
I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes green stool and pepcid ac
- What causes green stool in children
- What causes dark blackish green stool colour
- Fuzzy green stool what causes fuzzy green stool in children
- What is the cause for green stools and flatulence
- What could be the cause of green stool in infant
- What causes lower back pain and green stools
- What causes green stool along with dizziness and sickness
- What causes green stool
- What can cause reccuring green stool in children
- Suggest treatment for bone cancer
- What causes dry mouth and white patch on tongue?
- What causes burning sensation and pain in elbow joint and hip joint?
- Suggest treatment for skin rashes
- What are side effects of Metanx?
- What does a brown spot on arm indicate?
- What causes hair growth on heel?
- Suggest treatment for itchy, painful and swollen legs
- Suggest treatment for hemiplegic migraines
- What causes itching and pain in feet at night while sleeping?