What causes brown vaginal discharge?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have an IUD inserted about a month and half ago. I got my period last week on Tuesday and it seems to have ended on Tuesday of this week. I had unprotected sex on Wednesday and now I am having a browm discharge. There is no odor, just a brown discharge. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need evaluation for brown discharge.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion brown discharge always need evaluation and treatment. There are two most common cause of brown vaginal discharge-
1) Due to hormonal disturbances- if your IUD having hormonal component.
2) Due to vaginal infection (infected IUD )- reason in your case may be sexual contact infect your IUD.

In my opinion since you have an IUD and history of unprotected intercourse, you should consult a gynaecologist and get your examination done to rule out infection. If infection is there then it can be treated with antibiotic or if it is not controlled then your IUD removed after consulting your treating doctor.

If it is due to hormonal changes then it may be resolved in 3-6 months automatically.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Good luck.
Dr. Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN