What causes brown spots on finger?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Since 5 months ago a cluster of brown spots appeared on the side of my pinkie finger. Also, the surrounding area became brownish. They don’t itch and they feel a little bit harsh. Now it looks scaly because I have used Ureadin 30% for the last 2 days. At first, they were barely noticeable but 2 weeks ago an ant bit me in that zone so I scratched the zone. After that, the spots became more apparent. Recently, I also noticed the same in my thumb finger from the same hand. I have gone with two dermatologists. The first one was during the first month of appearance and told me that it was nothing to care about. I visited the second one 2 days ago and he told me he does not know what this is. He prescribed me Ureadin 30% and told me that if it does not work I may require a biopsy.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Brown spots are likely due to hemosiderin deposition

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

This seems like hand eczema (with thickening, scaling and peeling of skin) and the brown spots are likely due to capillary bleeding and hemosiderin deposition in the thick skin.
You may continue with ureadin cream.
If I was the treatring doctor I would suggest you to use a potent topical steroid e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream, twice daily, over the affected area twice daily.
I also suggest you to take a tablet of vitamin C once daily for a few days.