What causes brain fog?

Cardiologist
Question
I fainted nearly 2 weeks ago. Ever since I've been getting pre-syncope. Moreso, I constantly feel like I'm in a "brain fog" I'm very foggy in the head, almost lightheaded. I resumed eating and drinking normally. Tried to make life as normal as possible. But its not helping. I noticed I have nasal swelling, constant belching, sometimes abdominal burning/discomfort with nausea. Sometimes joints get weak. The brain fog is constant. All blood work, chest xrays, blood pressure, oxygen levels, all came back fine. Neurologist and cardiologist can't find anything wrong. What is it?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Satish Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get your Holter and Head Up Tilt Test done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
I hope you are better by now.

Going through your your case history and your recent other queries I could come to the possibility of a condition called Neuro-Cardiogenic (or Vasovagal) Syncope.
As you have informed that most of the time these symptoms of getting dizzy or occassipnally losing consciousness transiently with flaccid limbs occured while standing up or in standing position for long time. You have also informed that your Blood reports, Resting ECG etc have been normal.

Now, this could be due to a sudden momentary fall in BP or Heart Rate or both while assuming the erect posture.

Have you been ever tested for Postural Hypotension by recording your BP in supine as well as standing position? If not, get it done.

Secondly, if this is okay you may get your 24 Hr. Holter monitoring done to rule out any abnormality in Heart Rate and Rhythm. Some clinicians may prefer an extended period rhythm monitoring by External Loop Recorder.

If even these turn out to be normal then a Head-Up Tilt Test (HUTT) should be performed where you are required to stand along an inclined (70*) table for about an hour while your vital parameters are being monitored. If your symptoms are reproduced either by just stading or by provocation with an oral medicine that is offered in the later part of the test..it is called positive. If so, suitable therapy may be offered depending on the type of results of the test.

I am sure your doctor should be able to clinch the eaxact cause of your symptoms this way.

Wishing a speedy recovery..
- Dr. Satish.

Follow-up: What causes brain fog? 42 minutes later
Thank you Dr. I notice however tho, that the fogginess in the head, that "lightheaded, fullness, pressure" in the face/head is whether I'm sitting, lying down, or standing. My heart was monitored all day in the hospital. They ruled out the heart, and the head. Do you have any idea what else could cause this feeling?

Brief Answer:
You should undergo HUTT

Detailed Answer:

As I suggested earlier that in the event of your monitoring being normal, you should go for HUTT. Reeling could be due to a no of causes including those related to middle ear. But, the history of transient loss of consciousness needs a reliable explanation.

regards,