What causes blood in vaginal discharge after child birth?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I haven't had a period since I had my daughter in February. today when I wiped after going pee there was what looked like red sand or coffee grains on the toilet paper. I checked and found it was coming from my XXXXXXX like my period but this is not a period! or at least not like any period I've ever had. I investigated further by slightly swiping the inside of my XXXXXXX with my finger and what came out onto my finger was not normal nor like anything over ever seen! it was a white, thin mucus like discharge with little red specs in it. like sand or coffee grains! I checked the texture of it and it was soft and it squished easily like blood. please help me, I'm freaking out! What is this?! I have been sexually active with a few guys in the last 3 months. could this be a pregnancy or miscarriage or even worse an infection or STD?! I've been sooo careful! I wear protection every time no matter what! even with oral I use condoms! so it can't be an STD... it just can't! PLEASE help!
Answered by Dr. Soumya 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal Periods

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

There is a period after child birth called " Lactational Amenorrhea" when the woman will not be able to have regular menstruation as she breast feeds her child. Hence it is physiological and normal that you were not having periods regularly till now after child birth.

When the periods start, initially they are less in flow and different consistency initially as mentioned by you ( XXXXXXX or small red mucous or crystal ). Thats how the periods start.

This does not appear like STD. Dont worry about it.

Pregnancy chances are minimal. If you suspect it better get " serum beta hCG blood test" which rules out pregnancy or miscarriage as a cause. I will not be able to differentiate it otherwise based only on symptoms.

So finally to summarize: Get serum beta hCG blood test. If negative, this is your first period after child birth and is normal. Dont worry about it.

I hope your doubt is clarified.

Dr. Soumya

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari