What causes blood in urine?

Question
My symptoms are:
Blood in urine, swelling in feet & hands, insomnia, itchy skin, lower back pain.
I have had 3 kidney infections in the last 5-6 years.
I'm concerned that the infections keep reoccurring.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Resistance, drug choice, malformation, tumor, ston

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is important to get a careful review to know why the infections keep coming. There are three main reasons:

1. The antibiotic used might not be given in an appropriate dose, might not be an appropriate antibiotic, or the duration of treatment might not be very sufficient.

2. The germs causing the infection might be resistant to the drugs that you have been taking, making complete elimination of the germ not possible, reason for recurrent infection.

3. There could be some malformations or some predisposing factors at the level of the urinary system (stones, tumors, obstructions, diabetes etc) that favor recurrent infections.

It is imperative to get a urine culture and antibiotic sensitivity test done, to determine the drug that would treat the germ and give it for an appropriate duration. Your urologist could be helpful in further investigating if there are any other predisposing factors for these recurrent infections.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain