What causes blood in stools post stent placement in heart?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My brother just had a massive heart surgery last week; had 2 stents put in.
Today he bled rectally and went to hospital where they are taking tests; he said he has not had any blood in stool the last time he just checked.
What does this mean. I am worried because he did have surgery. I just need to know
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to look into details

Detailed Answer:
as all patients are put on blood thinners after stents, they do have some bleeding risk. Once he is examined they will be able to do decide what's cause and that would determine next course of action. yes it's gone to be little tricky as we will not be able to stop medicines. please get back to me with reports. most these will be treatable and at most they need transfusion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional