What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am bleeding somewhere on the inside according to my doctor and my last blood test.
I have had an upper GI and colonoscopy test which both were normal. Next I am taking a test where they put some kind of XXXXXXX in an egg and toast and watch the digestion. What could cause me o be anemic and bleeding somewhere inside?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further inputs needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Apart from the anemia could you please specify what makes you or your doctor suspect that you are bleeding inside? I mean to ask about symptoms like bloody stools, tarry stool, blood stained vomitus etc.

Worm infestation is a possibility to consider. I would be glad if you could upload the medical notes and/or investigation reports.

I would await your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 minutes later
My doctor took my regular 4 month blood test and the results were my blood count is down 1.5 and she said I am anemic and requested the tests I mentioned in my previous email. I have not had any blood in stool, tarry stool or blood stained vomit etc.

The colonoscopy said I have small pockets in my large intestine and inflamed stomach and possibly an old ulcer that has healed. They did take a biopsy too which was normal. I will take the test with the XXXXXXX in food next Friday so I do not have the results at this time.

Thank you for your thoughts about this matter.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Deworming suggested

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the clarifications. I would insist you to get a deworming with a single dose Albendazole tablet 400 mg once tonight and to repeat the dose after a fortnight. If there is a worm infestation causing the blood loss, it would get taken care of. Take iron supplements. Otherwise I find nothing else that needs to be done at the moment.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 hours later
How much iron do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Iron supplements are commonly available. Take one a day.

Detailed Answer:
Iron pills are available. Take one each day.