What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have abused alcohol since my teens. I am now 67 years old. Over the past 6 months or so after a night of heavy drinking i have had blood in my stool. This has happened once every couple of months. I was told it most likely a bleeding ulcer, but could be cirrhosis of the liver. I have quit drinking. If it is cirrhosis does a liver cleanse supplements help? Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no way to tell

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Blood in the stool can occur from complications of cirrhosis like esophageal varices (dilated blood vessels around the esophagus due to liver congestion) but that more often causes the vomiting up of blood rather than blood in the stools.
There are other causes for blood in the stool such as hemorrhoids and colon cancer.
If you want to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible you need to see a doctor. You will need a complete evaluation of your liver to see if you have cirrhosis and you will need a colonoscopy to determine the cause of the bleeding. It is great that you have stopped drinking. Please find some support to help you maintain sobriety and see a doctor as soon as possible.
Dr. Robinson