What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Deepak

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi doctor, i am getting blood with my bowel. It is in big amount. I think I have piles but I can feel a cut as well near my anus. Could you please help me what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be Anal fissure along with piles.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.
I understand your concern.

Based on your description I think you are suffering from Anal fissure which you are feeling as a cut. There could also be piles. Hard stool can make your situation worse leading to excess bleeding.
I would suggest you to consult your general surgeon for detailed proctoscopic examination and management guidelines.
Left untreated you could loose greater amount of blood gradually which won't come to your notice.

If there is fresh wound which is bleeding profusely, it needs immediate attention. In that case you should rush to emergency room right now.
For now you can apply lignocaine jelly to the affected anal site.
Try to avoid straining while defecating.

If everything is found normal in proctoscopic examination you need to undergo colonoscopy to know the site of bleeding.

Hope this helps.

Take care, Bye.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak