What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi. I have noticed streaks of blood in my stools the past couple of weeks. could this be due to a tear or could it be due to something worse in the colon such as a polyp? I don't have any stomach uncomforts, but I don't have bowel movements every single day.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood on outside of stool is most likely from a rectal tear.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The most likely cause of blood streaks on the outside of stools in someone your age is from anal or rectal tear or fissure. This can happen if you have a hard stool that tears the lining a bit.

Colon polyps can cause bleeding. If a polyp is farther up the GI tract the blood is usually mixed in with the stool.

If it makes you more comfortable with knowing, you can go to a doctor who can have a look at the anus and rectum. If he/she sees a tear you will know what you are dealing with.

I hope this information helps.