What causes blood discharge from penis?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Fri, 4 Dec 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I've noticed a dark blue/purple pool of blood on the shaft of my penis. Should I see a doctor?

Appeared today - no specific trauma.

Maybe after masturbation? Didn't notice anything usual during/immediately after the process though.

First spotted it in the shower.

No pain (not yet at least!). Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Small hematoma or mild bruise.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have seen the pictures you uploaded.

It could be something simple like a small hematoma or mild bruise which could be due to burst of small capillaries or vein probably after masturbation and sometimes went unnoticed during the act and appears after few hours on the shaft of penis.

It will mostly subside by itself without any specific treatment within 5 to 7 days.So,no need to be worried and need not to go to doctor at this time.

But in case, if it doesn't go away even after a week or so, you should probably see a doctor who will examine it and can make a diagnosis.

Hope this will help you.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad