What causes blocked left ear and itchy right ear?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Apr 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Left ear is having a sort of blockage / stuffed feeling, minor pain. Visited the doctor who said to wait to see if it subsides but to no effect. No balancing issues. Right ear has the feeling of being slightly itchy no pains. Left ear slight pain when swollowing, throat is also slightly soar. I smoke quite a bit. What could be the problem. Attached is the reports of the audiometry/typanometry test that the doctor made me do.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fluid in middle ear

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome,

From your symptoms and Investigations it appears you have fluid in the ear. It is very common and can happen after a cold or after an upper respiratory tract infection.

It happens because the Eustachian tube gets blocked. This tube connects the nose to the ear and helps to ventilate the ear. Blockage of this tube can result in fluid accumulation in the ear and produce a variety of symptoms like clogged ears, hearing loss, tinnitus.

It is usually self limiting condition and resolves in a few days to weeks time.

Sometimes it can progress to ear infection.

I suggest you pay a visit to the doctor again to rule out infection.
Till then you can start decongestant nose drops like otrivin.These drops help to open the Eustachian tubes. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day and follow it up with steam inhalation for 6 days.

Remember to drink lots of water and avoid air conditioning and cold foods.

Feel free to follow up,
Dr Rajkishori Godhi (MS ENT)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta