What causes bloating in upper abdomen and difficulty breathing?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a 64 year old woman who has basically drowned my sorrows of having lost a child 2 years ago. Have been drinking 7 bottles of wine a week. Last week I began to feel overwhelming bloating in upper abdomen to where it seemed rather difficult to breathe. I went on an online medical site and plugged in my symptoms and to my fearful dismay, the result was either a fatty liver or ovarian cancer. I stopped the wine immediately and each day the symptoms have gradually gotten better. I feel about 50% better but I am extremely constipated. I really don't have access to health care because my premium tripled under the "Affordable Care Act" and I dropped it and plan to wait it out until I reach 65. My question is do you think that it is a liver issue and what about the constipation? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably liver

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
First,I am very sorry about your loss.
It is not good idea to search for diagnoses online,except if you can ask doctors directly. Since in many cases,internet will show some rare or life threatening disorders which are the last thing to think of. So ovarian cancer is rare disease which would cause any other symptoms before bloating and constipation occur. Of course ,your symptoms are nonspecific and many normal or abnormal conditions can cause it. Considering your alcohol consumption,liver and pancreas are first organs to think of,both can lead to digestion issues. It includes fatty liver,fibrosis or cirrhosis,chronic pancreatitis etc. I think at this point,you should reduce alcohol maximally,eat more vegetables,druids,milk products,probiotics and laxatives if required. Try to do at least liver ultrasound and liver enzymes. If there is no improvement within 2 weeks you should do further tests. Wish you good health.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 55 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I also am experiencing lack of appetite. I am eating, but much less and because I know I have to. But there is little hunger.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Yes, these symptoms indocate some digestion problem which may be more or less serious, but at this point you should start with abdominal ultrasound and lab findings. other endoscopic procedures and ct scan may be required if something is pathologic in these findings
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar