Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

What causes bleeding during sex?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12739 Questions
I have had bleeding during sex about 5-6 times in the past few months and a couple of times about a year ago. Only when im on top and his penis hits my cervix hard. I get my paps very regularly, once a year or sooner and its always normal. My last one was 8 months ago. My periouss are normal. I'm also good about std screaning. I was tested for gonorhia and chlamidia and it was negative. Ive also had back pain. Ive been a hair stylist for 13 years and work 50 hours a week. So i attributed the back pain from that. Im a little nervous as to what could cause this.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
I can understand your concern for these symptoms. It is not normal to have bleeding after sex and it is usually found in vaginal infections like Chlamydia, gonorrhea or trichomoniasis, vaginal inflammation, disease of endometrium that is lining of uterus, polyps (mass) in uterus and cervix, fibroid tumor or endometritis.
It is possible to get false negative results with the standard tests for STDs. You can opt for specific tests for infections like Chlamydia which include Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), Nucleic acid hybridization tests (DNA probe test, Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA, EIA) or Direct fluorescent antibody test (DFA). Moreover swab tests and culture tests may be false negative for other STD’s like herpes and HPV also. Blood antibody testing are more accurate and these can include ELISA (for herpes, Chlamydia and HPV).

So I suggest you to get these blood tests done and for bacterial infections like Gonorrhea and Trichomoniasis, repeat culture sensitivity should be done. You also need to get an ultrasound uterus done to rule out any fibroids or polyps. Colposcopy is also needed in such cases. A gynecologist should be consulted in this case. A bleeding and clotting profile is also needed to rule out bleeding tendencies.
In mean time please use lubrication and ask your partner to use condom to avoid friction.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes bleeding during sex? 28 minutes later
I know that it is not normal. I am concerned about cervical cancer. Ive always been good about getting my paps. Would my papsmear have picked up abnormal cells 8 months ago? Ive already made my appointment and i see my obgyn in two weeks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. PAP picks abnormal cells accurately.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. PAP sear would have picked any abnormal cells present 8 months ago. Cervical cancer in your case is less likely with normal PAP sear. Infections should be ruled out and colposcopy bleeding profile and ultrasound scan are needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor