What causes black visual floaters in the line of vision?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have what seems to be a black gelatinous blob in my right eye and it is effecting my vision.
Do you know what it could be and what can be done about it?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitreous floater?

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us
There are certain details I would like to know first.Does this blob moves with eye movement are remains static.As if it moves with eye movement then it is a vitreous floater,if it doesn't then your retina is to be examined in details to ascertain the reason thereafter management.
Also, any history of diabetes and hypertension is to be known.
Please do get back to me with relevant details so XXXXXXX offer relevant advise.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
It moves around a little bit, but not much.
I do have hypertension, but not diabetes.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FLOATER

Detailed Answer:
My fear
Thanks for getting back to me.
This is likely to be a floater,which is innocuous and is Only treated if causing disturbance in vision.
Treatnent is vitamin C 500 mg.once a day for 2 to 3 months. These floaters do not cause any harm other than small amount of visual disturbance. If not responding, then a detailed retinal examination is needed.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 10 hours later
Thank you!
I am having it examined by my eye doctor this morning as it is causing an irritating visual disturbance.
Brief Answer:
Floaters

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
That will be an excellent idea,will keep everybody 's mind at rest.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad