• question-icon

What causes black stools?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Black stool about every 10 to 14 days?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stool for occult blood to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.
As per your query answers are-

Bleeding in the upper portion of your digestive system can cause black, tarry stools. Ulcers or another form of irritation in your esophagus or stomach known as gastritis can cause bleeding. When the blood mixes with digestive fluids, it takes on the appearance of tar.Black stool may be normal in some cases and caused by ingesting certain substances or medications, such as iron supplements. Foods that are dark blue, black or green may also cause black stools.Please check food you are having is it rich in iron?
So my suggestion is go for a investigation called stool for occult blood to see if black color is due to blood or not.
Any further suggestion can be given only after confirming whether its blood or not.

Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist