What causes back pain while having pseudogout?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Lupus
Question: I am a 63 year old male who has pseudo gout in left knee and then two days later I have had pain in my lower back and hip and down to my groin and pain gets worse every day and no pain meds are taking it away. Surgeon says it is not pseudo gout in hip and back and groin. just pseudo gout in knee. Also have nausea and feeling sick to my stomach.

He is going to see a chiropractor but afraid it may do more damage to his back this afternoon.

Also was told from orthopedic surgeon (Because of knee pain) that it is not sciatica nerve pain.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please post your exact query.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your post, your doctor is right in saying that , your back pain is not due to pseudogout . It can be mechanical backache considering your age . Please elaborate on your back pain so that we can help you out exactly. Whether the pain comes in a particular position or radiates somewhere .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 30 hours later
It is in left lower back and goes to lower hip and groin
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for reverting back.

Well I would advice you to get two things done - USG abdomen to rule out kidney stones and secondly an X-ray of lumbo-sacral spine to look for any osteophytes compressing the nerve . These are two possibilities that can arise .

So we need to investigate them . You can also discuss these issues with your treating doctor . Backache radiating to groin can be due to renal stones also(which I've already mentioned above) , so we need to think on those lines also.

Any other query please feel free to ask.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee