• question-icon

What causes back pain, lightheadedness and nausea while stretching?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi. I woke up this morning and went to stretch and hurt my back. I was standing at the time and extended both of my arms up straight above my head. While I was doing that I experienced some sort of jerking movement like maybe I had stretched wrong. My back started hurting in my lower neck and between my shoulder blades. I got light headed and then got nauseous feeling. I dry heaved a few times and then it went away. My stomach still feels nauseous and I still have pain in my neck/back. Any ideas on if this is all related or what I might have done?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be muscle sprain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.

Probably what you experienced is a muscle pull in upper back during stretching , which caused pain. Due to sudden pain you felt lightheadedness and nausea.

The pain that you have may persist for a longer period. I suggest you start pain killers, muscle relaxants and regular neck and back exercises to strengthen your muscles. If you feel no relief in 7-10 days then consult an orthopedic surgeon.

Thanks for the question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon