• question-icon

What causes anxiety and panic while on Citalopram and Klonopin?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Just over 5 weeks on citalopram 20 mg. for panic disorder, acute anxiety, etc. Pllus .5 klonopin twice a day, and ambien cr to sleep. No real improvements. Suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I would suggest raising the dose of citalopram to 30mg daily. If you do not see improvement in 2 weeks, increase to 40mg daily. Of course, all this needs to be done under the supervision of your prescribing physician.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 23 minutes later
Current pschiaridt wants to go straight to 40. Thinks 30 would not provide enough help with the comorbid depression? Will side effects be bad?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Going straight to 40mg is fine. 30mg is more conservative, but I would NOT expect going straight to 40mg to cause bad side effects. You should be fine!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist