• question-icon

What causes ankle swelling after shin injury?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell off our. Bulkhead six days ago. Received injury to my shin. I can walk on it though pretty sore. Today I noticed my ankle is swollen with large black bruise around it. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swelling due to poor return of blood.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
To me , with your description it appears that you have injured your shin with a small collection of hematoma or a partial tear in a muscle. The result is soreness on walking and ankle swelling. Ankle swelling occurs since there is loss on normal muscle movements and sluggish return of blood to heart.
If you are otherwise feeling well , I suggest pain killers and compression bandage from toes to just below the knee. When the injury heels in about 3 weeks time ,you will feel better with swelling also.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon