Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes anaemia when diagnosed with hemochromatosis?

Answered by
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 6189 Questions

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have liver iron overload and am still anemic. I had a gastric by pass 3 years ago. What and whom do I see and do?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See a gastroenterologist/Hepatologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for reaching out to us.

I have reviewed your information fully. By iron overload, do you mean hemochromatosis? It will be strange to have anemia with high iron levels as this is often rather characterized with good hemoglobin values.

The best physician to see is a gastroenterologist. He would provide the necessary evaluation and management. Most important, would be to understand what the cause of your anemia is and management options would be developed from there.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well and keep me posted on this.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Thank you. Cause is Gastric bypass. Possible hemochromatosis from ct scan on 1/26/2016. Hemotologist has requested a liver biopsy. Iron infusions were given before ct results were known. Iron is trapped in the liver..but the ferriten level is low.

I will contact my gastroenterologist Dr XXXXXXX Lo at Cedars Sinai.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me know how the trip to your gastroenterologist goes.

Detailed Answer:

Good to know you will meet with your gastroenterologist. Keep me posted about the outcome of this visi.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.