What causes anaemia when diagnosed with hemochromatosis?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have liver iron overload and am still anemic. I had a gastric by pass 3 years ago. What and whom do I see and do?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See a gastroenterologist/Hepatologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for reaching out to us.

I have reviewed your information fully. By iron overload, do you mean hemochromatosis? It will be strange to have anemia with high iron levels as this is often rather characterized with good hemoglobin values.

The best physician to see is a gastroenterologist. He would provide the necessary evaluation and management. Most important, would be to understand what the cause of your anemia is and management options would be developed from there.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well and keep me posted on this.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Thank you. Cause is Gastric bypass. Possible hemochromatosis from ct scan on 1/26/2016. Hemotologist has requested a liver biopsy. Iron infusions were given before ct results were known. Iron is trapped in the liver..but the ferriten level is low.

I will contact my gastroenterologist Dr XXXXXXX Lo at Cedars Sinai.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me know how the trip to your gastroenterologist goes.

Detailed Answer:

Good to know you will meet with your gastroenterologist. Keep me posted about the outcome of this visi.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad