What causes an enlarged prostate?

Posted on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi doctor, I recently did my all different test such as Colonoscopy (as was constipated), CBC,urinalysis, PSA (for prostate) and swollen inguinal lymph nodes and ultrasound was done and it came back saying all lymph nodes are within normal range and echotexture and no hernia. All of these test came negative but I do have pain in lower bladder, tender scrotum,urge to urinate often and pain with urination and less urine. My doctor did pelvic ultrasound and it came back with enlarged prostate of 30cc and urine retention of 17%. I have been prescribed cipro but no bacterial infection was found and I a kind of confused as I am not sure why i have swollen lynph nodes/tendor and pain can prostate cause constipation and swollen lymph node swelling and how can I resolve and should I take cipro? My doctor said no need to worry.Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic prescribed to address prostatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome
I have gone through your query and do understand your concern.
Enlargement of prostate is noted with BPH and in prostatitis.
As most of the investigation are normal, enlarged prostate might be due to prostatitis and lymph nodes -- they are likely to be reactive lymph nodes ( node that are enlarged during infection). The antibiotic is given to address prostatitis. You can discuss this with your consultant.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Harish Naik