What causes an abscess in rectum?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Apr 2016 in Lump
Question: I had an abscess in my rectum about 8 years ago. It was about the size of a grapefruit when I went to the ER, and a surgeon made an incision on the outside to drain. The hole has never completely closed. For the last 8 years it has occasionally bled. Only once before now I felt it was reforming and a day later it drained again. That was about two years ago. The last few days I've been experiencing the same pain I remember when it first showed up and had some drainage today but it still hurts. What kind of doctor should I see for this, and what should I expect for treatment.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fistula in ano.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Read your history and understood your concerns. Your history of having drained an abscess in the rectum which never healed and causing pain and swelling is suggestive that you are suffering from fistula-in-ano.
I would advise you the following:
First of all to get the opinion of a General Surgeon or Proctologist.
Get the fistulogram done. This can be done by two methods, whichever your Surgeon or Radiologist is believing in. One is MRI Fistulogram, another is by contrast radiogram. This is done to see whether the fistula is low or high.
The low fistula is surgically correctable without any complications. If it is high you will need staged surgery or other ways to have healing without complications.

Get the investigations done, get the definitive surgery done to get a probable cure.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper diagnosis and treatment, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.