What causes acute diarrhea during menstrual cycle?
should last less than 3 to 4 days
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Some women do experience diarrhea as part of their premenstrual symptoms.
This can occur a few days before or with the onset of the period.
In most cases , the symptoms last less than 3 to 4 days, if you find that your symptoms last longer than this time frame or they are very severe then you should see your doctor.
Constipation can be initially treated with diet and lifestyle changes but if this does not help then you can visit your doctor to rule out other causes- electrolyte disturbance (high calcium, low potassium, diabetes), thyroid disease, nerve related conditions.
Initial treatment includes: (1)use of enough daily fluids - not including any caffeine drinks or alcohol since these cause the body to lose fluids by urination
(2)use of enough dietary fiber by increasing fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods
If difficult then a fiber supplement such as benefiber, metamucil or cetrucil can be added
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
if different time period or more severe
Sorry about the delayed reply
If you have a history of issues around the time of your period then symptoms occurring around that time are likely related to the hormonal changes.
If you find that your symptoms occur at a different time period or they become severe eg if the abdominal discomfort is more severe, then you should be assessed.
Also if you are not entirely comfortable, it is always best to follow instinct and be assessed
Please feel free to ask anything else
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes vaginal pressure during menstrual cycle
- What causes irregular menstrual cycles
- What causes vomiting during the menstrual cycle
- What causes headaches during menstrual cycle
- What is the cause of breathlessness during menstrual cycles
- What causes fast heartbeat during menstrual cycle
- What causes abnormal menstrual cycles
- What causes menstrual cycle changes
- What causes orange blood in menstrual cycle
- What causes menstrual cycle headaches