Owl Image

Suggest medication for diarrhea

Owl Image
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Question
My wife has had diarrhea for over a month, has been tested for every known germ and had prescription from a gastroenterologist who cannot help end this. What are the over-the-counter medications you know of that she might try. Her primary doctor only refers here back to her gastroenterologist.
Fri, 5 Jan 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take Over the counter medication in optimal doses.

Detailed Answer:
Firstly thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Over the counter Medications to be taken are-
Imodium in doses 4 mg upto 4 times a day(16 mg a day divided in 3-4 doses).

Probiotic llike VSL#3 twice a day.Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system. We usually think of bacteria as something that causes diseases. But your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called "good" or "helpful" bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy.

Add Metamucil 2 tsf to regimen once daily.It increases the bulk of stool and help in formation of bulky and formed stool.

Thanks!