What causes abnormal period with history of pituitary tumor removal?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi there i had a pituitary tumor removed November 11th 2014 and my period started back normal for December and January
....my last period was January 25th...i took pregnancy test to confirm i am not pregnant. ..so why is it my period is abnormal again...could it meAn the tumor is growing back? Is this thing normal? I am taking so much vitamin C and parsley tea (this brings your period) but i have cramping and sore breast and i had that from February as well....i have the symptom of my period. ..backache...cramps sore breast but still no period

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
prolactin levels needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for trusting in us.
I would like to know if your prolactin levels are normal and the date when you got them tested.
Your periods are most probably likely to come but still in case you don't get them in next week then take norethisterone 5 mg thrice a day for 3 days and after leaving the drug you will get periods in 3-5 days.
Waiting for response
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 4 minutes later
after the surgery my period came normal for the first 2 months but it's only Feb it didn't come. ..my levels were normal after surgery in November. i haven't gotten them tested since November. ...so it's normal for my period to be a bit irregular? Cuz I'm panicking maybe the tumor is coming back although i know these tumor rarely grow back and they grow very slow
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
I know what you are feeling and the anxiety related to the issue.
Irregular periods are common after tumor removal and also due to surgical stress.
But the good part is that you had normal periods after surgery for 2 months so most likely your cycles will be fine soon and it is just a transient delay.
Just wait for a week and in case you still don't get them take the tablets as advised.
All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
the tablets have to be prescribed by a doctor? or can i buy at pharmacy
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait for a week at least

Detailed Answer:
These are over the counter medicines but wait for for your periods for at least a week.