• question-icon

What causes abdominal pain?

Posted on Wed, 18 Feb 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi,

Today I've just experienced quite significant pain in the right abdominal area about 13 cms to the right of the belly button and just below the ribcage. I have previously had similar pains and believe it is related to the kidney.
The first time I experienced pain in the kidney area was during the nuclear medical test for kidney function when the right kidney felt much more pain than the left. The tests indicated right kidney nephrosis at the time (about 20 years ago).
However, I am not sure why the pains can still appear at times. They may appear if the pants are too tight and also when the abdomen becomes bloated such as during a flight. I have also experienced the pain more recently at a more serious level after having the injection for the MRI test although it was delayed for about a day.
I am not sure why some recent abdominal ultrasounds detect the problem but others don't.
Would there be any concern with the relatively more serious pains in the area today? I am not sure what might have caused it apart from drinking coffee and lack of water. However, I have also only recently taken Crestor, about 4-5 months ago and that may have put more strain on the kidneys.
I have attached both recent and old test reports.

Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:

I have seen your old reports.
The pain ( which you did not clearly describe, the character etc) does not appear to be related to kidneys. The pain inside the abdomen basically due to the blockade ( partial / temporary) of any hollow tube inside. They are ureters( of kidneys), intestines, biliary tract (related to liver ). Every part has got a characteristic feature. when you are not f getting any answer from one site, better to think of the other site. The most common and frequent reason could be , as you have written, GERD , for which you are not taking any treatment, it seems. You can take an antacid ( anti reflux) and see and the response. we will see later regarding MRI etc..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

I would just like to describe the pain as sharper in nature but also having an aching component. Last night, it was also much worse only when urinating so I thought that it would likely be related to parts of the kidneys since it was in that area.

Regards.
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dont worry

Detailed Answer:

Sharp pains are not due to colics. You can get urine culture done once to see whether you have urine infection in the tract( though less likely). Drink adequate amount of water so that you can pass urine frequently . Constipation is another reason for such pains and avoid constipation with laxatives or high fibre diet.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju

Nephrologist